We all want to give our children a good start in life and that includes the skills and character they will need for marriage and family life.
A wife of noble character who can find?
She is worth far more than rubies.
The normative is that most women will get married and have children. According to Scripture they are to be a keeper of their home; a ruler of their home. This is their primary way of being their husband’s helper. (Titus 2)
We want to be able to give our blessing on their marriage, which is more than just words of approval. Our blessing will be backed up with love, support, encouragement, physical help, counsel (when asked for) and prayer. Our blessing is a way of opening our arms to their suitor and saying, “Welcome to the Family and we trust you with our daughter!”
The following is a list of accomplishments we’d like for our daughters to achieve before they marry. We want our daughters to be a blessing to their husband, to help him take dominion of the earth for God’s glory.
In the event that they do not marry, these skills will only enhance their lives!
Before We Give Our Daughters in Marriage:
- Be a Growing Christian (The key to all of life.)
- Have a clear conscience with parents and siblings. If it is possible, as much as it depends on you, live at peace with all people. Romans 12:18
Be able to:
- sew a apron, skirt and dress using a pattern.
- sew for the home: curtains, throw pillows
- clean efficiently
- do laundry
- iron correctly
- keep order
- practice hospitality
- can produce and meat
These skills will not only save money, but they may even make money from home if need be:
- Make a Homemaking Notebook – Filled with recipes, ideas, favorite patterns, addresses, birthdays, etc..
~Business Skills/Money Management
A woman is to be sharp with the details of life. A woman that cannot manage money or the business affairs of the home will be a burden to her husband. The husband may choose to handle the money and business, but she NEEDS to know how to do it and be willing, especially if he were to die before her.
- Basic Bookkeeping
- Basic Business Skills
- Basic Computer Skills (HTML) The computer is a great way to make money from home and to serve in ministry.
- Know how to fill out personal tax forms.
- Live on a budget for one year, with a lifelong goal of keeping it up.
- Manage a checking account for at least one year. No bounced checks and keep it balanced.
- CVS- Coupon – Bargain Shopping
- No Debt
- Six month living expenses saved
- A hope chest started
- The Bible – To have read it at least once (hopefully more than once) all the way through.
- Finical Peace University, by Dave Ramsey. We wholeheartedly believe everyone, married and not married should do Dave’s course. Money problems are the number one cause of divorce. Other than knowing God, money management is the most important thing to know before marriage!
Be able to make:
- 10 delicious meals
- 10 nutritious breakfasts 5 Decadent Desserts
- Once a month cooking
- Cook for a crowd
- Plan/shop and prepare meals with ease and consistency.
Be able to grow, maintain and harvest vegetables and herbs, even if it is just a few basics.
~Basic Home/Auto Maintenance
- Change a car tire.
- What to do if the car overheats.
- How to caulk a window.
- How to change a fuse, or turn off house breakers.
- How to use a fire extinguisher.
- Take apart and clean out the trap of a drain.
- How to turn off the water supply at the meter or well.
We believe the most important character traits for a wife and mother are:
(this list is not all inclusive)
- Submission – She needs to understand she was made for her husband. “…for neither was the man created for the woman; but the woman for the man…” 1 Corinthians
- Contentment - A woman that always wants more will be a heavy weight to her husband. No matter where they live or how much they have, contentment with Godliness is great gain! 1 Timothy 6:6
- Flexibility – Her time and talents belong to the Lord and He will often bring circumstances that cause a quick change in plans. This will be very important if she marries someone that has a lot of vision.
- Gentleness – A woman is to be a lady, a gentle person in speech and conduct; taking much care if the way she reacts to tough situations.
- Meekness – To be yielding, putting the needs of others first. To manage her home and care for her children with humility.
- Productivity – A virtuous woman is not to have an idle hand. What shame a slacker wife would bring to God and her husband.
- Frugality – Whether wealthy or not, a woman should be the best steward of money, time and possessions as she can, because she knows they are not hers, but only entrusted to her by God.
You may look at this list and think that it is overwhelming, BUT if you start training you children while they are still children (young) and give them responsibilities they will grow into these. The goals for our daughters may be very different than yours, the important thing is to have a plan and start working the plan. We want to do EVERYTHING we can to give our daughters what they need to have healthy, God honoring, and happy marriages and families!
Aim for nothing and you’ll hit it every time!