Having a good work ethic does not come naturally for most of us, and this is even more true for children. There are families where one parent is a bit carefree or even lazy, while then the other parent is a ‘get-r-done’ kind of person. This can often cause problems between husband and wife which can cause strife with the children and before you know it, you have a home filled strained relationships.
Here are a few tips if you are the ‘get-r-done’ parent:
- Regardless of what the other parent is doing, or not doing, you can teach them from God’s word what He says about work.
Stress the importance of working as unto the Lord.
Read short stories about a work ethic (the Big Book of Virtue is great for this).
Look for children’s songs about working together.
Use memory verses about work.
Focus on Proverbs about work.
Fashion your Bible/Devotions about these verses.
- Do not point out the character flaws of the other parent to the kids. If you are the wife, do NOT nag your husband to do better, let that be between him and the Lord; you honor and respect him. Perhaps note cards with your memory verses on them placed around the house will encourage/convict his spirit?
- TRY AS HARD AS YOU CAN to keep a gentle and joyful spirit (it’s hard I know). Frustration and anger feeds more frustration and anger! You will draw them with a gentle and joyful spirit, it’s contagious!
- Set some serious consequences for tasks that are not done. Be tough, and don’t waiver because this is more about obedience than anything else.
- The longer you wait the harder it will be.
- Take it one day at a time.
- Pray for them and for your spouse…DAILY, ask God for wisdom.